Graduate Courses Created for Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy
- GS 859: Gift Planning in a Nonprofit Context (October, 2009)
- GS 839: Planning for Philanthropic Impact in the Context of Family Wealth (forthcoming, April 1, 2010)
- GS 849: Charitable Tools, Strategies, and Techniques (forthcoming, Oct 1, 2010)
Served as Source
- LA Times, Vanity Fair, Benefit, Fast Company, Private Asset Management.
- Philanthropy's Challenge: Can Passion Overcome Pessimism?, On Wall Street, Oct. 2009.
- Sean Stannard-Stockton, "How to Make Your Giving More Effective, The Financial Times, November 26, 2007.
- Tracy Gary, Inspired Legacies Winter, 2007 Newsletter
- Noam Cohen and James Freed, NY Times, November 12, 2007, In the Fund-raising Game Blogs Cut Both Ways
- Jim Grote, Financial Planning, October, 2007, Extreme Philanthropy Give Until It Hurts
- Randall Ottinger, Beyond Success (McGraw-Hill, 2008).
- Tracy Gary, Inspired Philanthropy (Jossey-Bass, 2008).
- H. Peter Karoff, The World We Want (Altimira Press, 2008)
- Steve Johnson, Journal of Gift Planning, January, 2005, Best Practices: Asking the Philanthropic Question
- Steve Johnson, Journal of Gift Planning, January 2005, Involving Advisors in Philanthropic Planning
- Served in February 2008 as resource to Lucy Bernholz in a study of donor impact for The Association of Small Foundations.
- Was a resource for a study done in February 2008 by Lucy Bernholz and The Philanthropic Initiative for New Ventures In Phlanthropy on resources for financial advisors.
- Served in February 2008 on an advisory panel for Bank of America for a study of high net worth people and their giving patterns.
Talks, Articles, Chapters
- With Tracy Gary addressed the Annual Conference of Partnership for Philanthropic Planning on a planning for philanthropic impact in the context of family wealth. October, 2009.
- Addressed the Northern CA Council of Partnership for Philanthropic Planning, on Partnering with Advisors for Inspired Outcomes, on September 10, 2009. Had given a version of this talk to advisors for Philadelphia Foundation earlier in the year.
- Association of Fundraising Professionals, March, 2009: Gave all day workshop on planned giving.
- Feature article on Phil Cubeta in Lifestyle Magazine for February, 2009.
- Spoke on philanthropy for Mass Mutual in San Jose, February, 2009.
- Spoke on legacy planning for New York Life's Nautilus Group, November, 2008.
- Spoke on philanthropy at C.A. Fitt's event, "Financial Permaculture: The Greening of a Rural American Community," October 24-28, 2008, in Hohenwald, TN.
- Spoke with Tracy Gary at the Association of Fundraising Professionals in Dallas on September 24, 2008. It was really her talk, but she invited me to speak a little on planned giving and the role of advisors.
- Spoke with Tracy Gary in Seattle for Financial Planning Association, Seattle Philanthropic Advisors, and Tacoma Community Foundation, September 17-18, 2008.
- Team taught a "train the trainer" session at Inspired Legacies for fundraisers and donor consultants. June, 2008.
- Joined Tracy Gary in addressing the Dallas Womens Foundation on partnering with advisors for inspired outcomes. May, 2008.
- Southeastern Council of Foundations, April, 2008, delivered two case studies on family dynamics and also a facilitated a conversation about leadership, jumping off from short philosophical reading.
- Advisors in Philanthropy, 2008 Annual Conference, spoke with Tracy Gary on getting advisors, donors, and nonprofits on the same page.
- Hudson Institute, Panel on Advising Benefactors, January 18, 2008. Phil's post-meeting notes on, Speaking of Philanthropy at Hudson.
- National Underwriter, November, 2006, "Getting Involved in Charitable Planning."
- Dialogues on Civic Philanthropy, November, 2005, Communities Foundation of Texas Conference of Southwest Foundations: Bequests and Legacies: What should guide people who leave their money? What should govern its receipt?
- Panel at Council on Foundations with Steve Johnson, Heather Hiles, Ellen Remmer and Katherine Fulton, April 2003, "21st Century Philanthropy."
- Presentation to National Committee on Planned Giving's Annual Conference, October 2002, "Donor-Centered Philanthropy." Download in pdf (15 pages)
- Presentation to a "Summit" of Philanthropy Advisors convened by The Philanthropic Initiative (TPI) and New Ventures in Philanthropy, December, 2001, "Questions and Talking Points for Financial and Legal Advisors: Raising the Philanthropic Question," edited by Steve Johnson of TPI. Download in pdf, (4 pages).
- Interviewed by Karen Jones, editor of Citywealth Magazine in London, December 11, 2007, posted at Charity and Wealth.
- Convened an Advisory Board for Chartered Advisor in Philanthropy program. October, 2009.
- Convened with Tracy Gary, a one day symposium on giving for philanthropy mavens (donors, advisors and nonprofit leaders) in Chicago, August 2007.
- Convened an "Open Space for Giving To Flourish" conference in Chicago, July 9-11, 2004, attended by a broad range of citizens and netizens.
- Convened with The Institute for International Research, June 25-26, 2002, "Emerging Trends in Philanthropy and Planned Giving."
- As an employee of a national financial services company, Phil has organized and/or taught training programs on philanthropy for financial services professionals from 1991-2008.